Corn crush, DDGS production down slightly in January

By Susanne Retka Schill | March 04, 2015

Corn consumed for fuel ethanol was 445.7 million bushels in January, down 2 percent from December, but up 3 percent from November. Dry mills used 89.3 percent of that, while wet milling fuel production consumed the remaining 10.7 percent. Corn consumption for other than fuel production totaled 43.4 million bushels, for a total corn use for industrial purposes of 497.3 million bushels in January.

Sorghum use for alcohol production was withheld for January to avoid disclosing data for individual operations. It had been 889,000 hundredweight in December and 2 million hundredweight in November.

The industrial use figures were the first regular monthly release from the new survey-based Grain Crushing and Co-Products Production report from the National Agriculture Statistics Service’s Current Agricultural Industrial Reports program. NASS launched the new survey-based report in mid-February, giving results from the last quarter of 2014.

The March report showed dry mill DDGS was 1.86 million tons during January, down 3 percent from December, but up 5 percent from November. Distillers wet grains (65 percent or more moisture) was 1.34 million tons in January, down 5 percent from December and down 1 percent from November. Other coproduct production figures for January include condensed distillers solubles (CDS or syrup) at 162,626 tons, corn oil at 105,356 tons, DDG at 438,936 tons and modified DWG (40-64 percent moisture) at 480,134 tons. Carbon dioxide capture at both dry and wet mills totaled 193,097 tons.

Wet mill corn gluten feed production was 321,800 tons during January, down 2 percent from December, but up 9 percent from November. Wet corn gluten feed (40-60 percent moisture) was 313,400 tons in January down 7 percent from December and down 1 percent from November.