USDA GIPSA seeks comments on its treatment of distillers grains

By Erin Voegele | January 22, 2016

The USDA’s Grain Inspection Packers and Stockyards Administration is soliciting comments to ensure that current services reflect market needs to facilitate the marketing of grain and related commodities, including disillers grains.

In a notice published in the Federal Register, GIPSA said it is specifically inviting comments from producers, handlers, processors, food manufacturers, exporters, importers, consumers, scientists, academicians, industry stakeholders, and other interested persons on how it can best facilitate the marketing of grains, oilseeds, rice, pulses, and related products, including distillers grains coproduct associated with ethanol production.

“To ensure that standards and official grading practices remain relevant in the market, GIPSA invites interested parties to comment on the relevance of current standards, methods, and grading practices, and on potential market needs for new standards or services,” said the administration in the notice.

The GIPSA establishes standards for grains, oilseeds, rice, pulses, and related graded and processed commodities, regarding kind, class, quality and condition. According to the notice, these standards facilitate marketing and define U.S. grain and commodity quality in the domestic and global marketplace.

Interested persons are encouraged to comment on several specific issues. One focuses specifically on distillers grains. GIPSA is asking what role, if any, it should take in standardizing the testing of inputs and outputs of ethanol coproduct processing. The administration is also asking for comments related to any market-identified product quality attributes that GIPSA does not currently describe that would facilitate the marketing of grain, oilseeds and related products. In addition, GIPSA is asking if there are any other services that it could offer to facilitate the marketing of grain, oilseeds and related products.

Comments are due April 18. Additional information is available on the Federal Register website.