Crushings analysis shows increases in corn oil, DDGS production

By Susanne Retka Schill | January 13, 2017

Corn distillers oil production was up a whopping 15 percent in the first 10 months of 2016 compared to the same period a year earlier, according an analysis of the USDA Grain Crushing and Co-Products Production report. Dried distillers grain production was up 3 percent in the same period the year before, while wet distillers dropped 6 percent and modified distillers saw a slight decrease. Monthly ethanol yield, calculated using two USDA reports, peaked in March at 3.0 gallons of ethanol per bushel of corn.

Two years of survey-based data is analyzed in the new report from Iowa State University’s AgMarketing Resource Center. Since February 2015, ethanol producers have been filling out surveys from the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service that are summarized in tables in the monthly crushing and coproducts report. The AgMRC analysis done by Sampath Jayasinghe and David Miller charts the data revealing a positive trend line for DDGS and declining trend for DWG.

The pair did their analysis on the data collected by NASS, which includes wet mill corn crush and coproducts, as well as dry mill. Out of the total corn crushed for fuel ethanol, dry mill plants consumed an average of 89 percent, with the remaining 11 percent used in wet mills.

The report also compared the monthly NASS crush data with monthly fuel ethanol production data from the U.S. Bioenergy Statistics published by the USDA’s Economic Research Service. The resulting national average ethanol yield calculated shows a high ethanol yield of 3.0 gallons per bushel of corn in March 2016 that slipped back to 2.84 gallons per bushel in October. “The average ethanol yield for the first 10 months in 2016 stands at 2.92 gallons per bushel, compared to 2.83 gallons per bushel for the same period in 2015, an increase of 3.1 percent,” they conclude. The total amount of corn crushed during the first 10 months of 2016 increased slightly from the same period in 2015.

To view the entire analysis, click here.